UN accuses Saudis of pressure over blacklist

UN secretary general Ban Ki-Moon says he faced “unacceptable” pressure to remove the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen from a blacklist over child casualties.

The UN announced on Monday that it had temporarily removed the Saudi-led coalition from the child’s rights blacklist which was published last week.

In his first public remarks following the announcement, Mr Ban said he decided to do so after Saudi Arabia along with some other Arab and Muslim countries threatened to cut off funding to UN humanitarian programs.

He said the decision to remove them from the UN list of violators of children’s rights was “one of the most painful” he’d had to make.

Saudi Arabia denies the threats.

{jssocials}

DOWNLOAD THE ROCKCITYFM APP AND LISTEN LIVE

Please subscribe to our newsletter

CONTACT US

Do you have any request or enquiry? Do not hesitate to send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2022 RockcityFM The Voice of the People

Need Help? Chat with us
or

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account