Two men have been arrested on suspicion of planning an “imminent” attack in France, days before the first round of the French presidential election.
Police said they found explosives and several guns at a flat linked to the suspects.
The two Frenchmen, aged 23 and 29, were detained in Marseille on Tuesday. They were reportedly radicalised in prison.
Interior minister, Matthias Fekl told a news conference: “These two radicalised men, born in 1987 and 1993, of French nationality, intended to commit in the very short-term – by that I mean in the coming days – an attack on French soil.”
He added that “a definite attack had been headed off.”
France remains under a state of emergency after a series of attacks that have claimed about 230 live since the Paris attacks in November 2015
On 22 March, Khalid Masood killed five people in London when he drove into pedestrians on Westminster bridge and stabbed Pc Keith Palmer outside Parliament.
On 7 April, Rakhmat Akilov drove a lorry into a Stockholm department store, leaving four people dead.
Three of the leading candidates in the presidential election – Emmanuel Macron, Marine le Pen and François Fillon – were warned last week of security risks linked to the two men