Two people have died while seven others, including a seven year-old boy, were critically injured in a fire outbreak at a filling station in Adigbe area of Abeokuta, the Ogun state capital.
Seven makeshift shops, a motorcycle and a pick-up vehicle were razed in the inferno that was put off by men of the fire service and other relevant security agencies.
The incident occurred at about 11 o’clock in the morning, following a gas explosion when a welder was carrying out a repair work at RAB Engineering filling station.
The state director of State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Shakiru Adebakin, addressing newsmen at the scene, said the fire incident could have been averted if the filling station had adopted standard safety precaution.
Also, the state commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Aboluwoye Akinwande, explained that quick response of NSCDC operatives, the state fire service and Nigerian police force prevented the fire from spreading to the nearby filling station.
“You can see the burnt generator of the artisan. He was said to be welding one of the pumping machines beside the gas base in the station when the gas attracted the generator and resulted in fire,” Mr. Aboluwaye noted.
He said he had deployed his officers to the station to prevent hoodlums from looting the station.