Tens of thousands of opposition supporters in Togo have marched in the capital, Lome in what they call the next phase of their campaign to force out President Faure Gnassingbe.
There were also big numbers of protesters in the second largest city of Sokode and the northern town of Bafilo, where youths blockaded a major highway connecting the north and south of the country.
The protesters are demanding that Gnassingbé, who has been in power since 2005, should step down.
He became president after the death of his father, Gnassingbé Eyadema, who had been at the helm for 38 years. Protesters are calling for the end of the “Gnassingbé dynasty”.
A government concession to introduce a two-term presidential limit through a constitutional amendment failed to dissuade the protesters.
Organisers of the protest had billed the Wednesday’s march as a “final warning” to the regime.
More rallies are expected on Thursday, described by organisers as a “march of anger”.
The main opposition leader, Jean-Pierre Fabre, said that they were going to maintain pressure on the government.
Protesters carried placards demanding the restoration of the 1992 constitution, which limited the number of presidential terms to two.
At least four people have been killed and hundreds injured during weeks of anti-government protests in Togo.
Internet speeds are said to be slow and access to social media platforms limited.
“Even in most developed countries, authorities take control of telecommunications in some cases,” he said.