Nigeria begins mass evacuation of citizens stranded in Libya

Avoid Libya or get killed - Presidency warns Nigerians

The mass evacuation of stranded Nigerian migrants from Libya is scheduled to begin today.

Five thousand and 37 stranded migrants will be evacuated in the exercise being spearheaded by the federal government.

Ahead of the evacuation exercise, a federal government delegation led by foreign affairs minister, Geoffrey Onyema, arrived Tripoli, the Libyan capital last Wednesday.

Spokesman of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Sani Datti, said two Nigerian airlines were contracted to transport the stranded migrants back to the country.

Ahead of their arrival in the country, NEMA spokesman said that a reception centre had been set up in Port Harcourt, from where they will be transported to their various states.

“A total of 5, 037 stranded citizens have been identified for evacuation home.

“The Nigerian mission in Libya is coordinating the identification of the Nigerian migrants with the support of the International Organisation for Migration.

“They are being joined by a technical team for the evacuation exercise comprising representatives of all relevant agencies.

“A reception centre has been established in Port Harcourt where the returnees on their arrival would be formally received and profiled before being transported to their various states,” Mr. Datti said.

DOWNLOAD THE ROCKCITYFM APP AND LISTEN LIVE

Please subscribe to our newsletter

CONTACT US

Do you have any request or enquiry? Do not hesitate to send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 RockcityFM The Voice of the People

Need Help? Chat with us
or

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account