Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat has announced on national TV that he will step down in the New Year, amid a crisis over a murdered journalist.
Explaining his decision to quit, Mr Muscat said of the way the murder inquiry had been handled: “some decisions were good while others could have been better made.”
He said he would ask the ruling Labour Party to begin the process to choose his successor on 12 January.
Demonstrators have demanded his immediate resignation over the inquiry into Daphne Caruana Galizia’s death.
She was killed by a car bomb in 2017 as she investigated corruption among Malta’s business and political elite.
A businessman with alleged links to government officials was charged with complicity in the murder on Saturday.