The US military will send an additional 1,000 troops to the Middle East as tensions build with Iran.
Acting defence secretary Patrick Shanahan said the deployment was in response to what he described as “hostile behaviour” by Iranian forces.
No details were given about where exactly the extra US forces would be posted.
Monday’s troop increase announcement comes on top of 1,500 extra announced by President Donald Trump last month.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday that the US did not want war with Iran, but was nevertheless “considering a full range of options”.
Tensions were further fueled on Monday when Iran said its stockpile of low-enriched uranium would next week exceed levels set under the 2015 nuclear agreement.
READ ALSO: World Cup: Super Falcons Lose 1-0 To France