Five inmates of Ikoyi medium security prison in Lagos, have been electrocuted to death.
Some of the other inmates who were also electrocuted and sustained various degrees of injury, had been rushed to a hospital.
The incident which took place on Monday morning while inmates were still sleeping, caused confusion in the facility.
Interior Minister, Rauf Aregbesola, in a statement by his media aide, Jane Osuji, confirms the tragic incident.
Prisons officials says the electrocution was caused by a power surge, which broke an electricity cable and sparked fire.
The broken power cable, according to the prison officials fell on a bunk of some of the inmates while asleep.