Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State said the ongoing mass protests in Kaduna metropolis, will not stop his administration from sacking close to 22,000 primary school teachers, who failed primary four tests.
The governor in a statement by the education ministry permanent secretary, Adamu Mansur, said he will not allow the long term interests of two million primary school pupils in the state, to be derailed by the agitation of 21,000 unqualified teachers.
He insisted that the recruitment of 25,000 new teachers to replace those being sacked is ongoing.
The governor also expressed concern over the leading of the Wednesday’s protests by the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Ayuba Wabba, in Kaduna metropolis.
“The NLC led thugs to vandalize the Lugard Hall premises of the Kaduna State House of Assembly. Officials of the Trade unions also forcibly closed schools such as the Katsina Road LEA School and sending the pupils to the streets.
“There was also blockage of highways by pupils and secondary school students, at the behest of their teachers as well as abdication of duty by some teachers who have left their pupils unattended to.
“NUT officials were previously warned about the consequences of illegal activity, including the unlawful use of pupils for protests, forcible closure of schools and engaging in unauthorized demonstrations.”
“The shameful events at the Kaduna State House of Assembly when union thugs destroyed public property and attacked honourable members is a visible and dangerous escalation.
“Security and law-enforcement agencies have the names of the individuals to be investigated for the organized actions that endangered school pupils, forcibly closed schools and attack on the Kaduna State House of Assembly,” statement read.