The Nigerian Army has said it has launched a final offensive against the Boko Haram forces in the North East region.
The military offensive tagged, ‘Operation Last Hold’, according to the Army Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, began last May 1 and will end on August 31.
Within the four month operation, he assured that the military would have destroyed the remaining camps and strongholds of the insurgents located around the Lake Chad region.
Buratai, speaking at a news conference in Maiduguri, said the military offensive will involve the deployment of more Manouvre brigades and critical military assets, in the north east region.
The UN special envoy to West Africa, Ambassador Ibn Chambas, spoke at the Lake Chad Basin Summit in Maiduguri last week, had faulted the claims of the Nigerian military that Boko Haram forces had been totally defeated, in the North East region.
Ibn Chambas predicted that, it will still take more time before the military could wipe out Boko Haram forces from the region.Please subscribe to our newsletter